ADifferentPath

A Different Path by Tabitha Vohn (coming Fall 2015)

Blurb:

Surviving adolescence, facing quarterlife, and finding oneself are all cornerstones of this story that is-at its heart-about families. The ones we create, that we hold as dear as our own blood kin, and the ones that (no matter how flawed) are a part of our identity.

Alice is thrust into adulthood after a horrifying ordeal threatens to destroy her already fragile family. She wanders amongst a labyrinth of people- a best friend whose mom is a sex therapist, a boy entrapped in an underground cult, a mother hiding a terrible secret-and experiences, strewn across her path, leading towards the life that she longs to reclaim. Along her journey, Alice must fight to overcome the ghosts of her adolescence, reconcile her family’s monstrous dysfunction, and, ultimately, make peace with herself. Her truest test comes when she must help to rescue her younger sister, Helen, from a self-destruction too much like her own.

Excerpt:

"Spring roused the lilac bushes in the garden below into full bloom and the air was filled with the scent of open meadows speckled with blossoms…I wanted to lie down in that scent of lilacs and run back through my memory until I found the place before everyone had gone away. I’d find that place and stay there, suspended; there with the sun and the heat and the scent of lilacs.”
_____________________

So far I´ve read only one book by Tabitha Vohn, ´FInding What Is´, but I loved that one. A YA/NA crossover (not sure how to label it) while Vohn writing some real beautiful prose. And the book starts with a Walt Whitman poem! Who said genre fiction can´t be smart, eloquent and sophisticated, coz Vohn certainly proves it can be.

Some may know that V.J. Chambers is one of my fave authors, and it was only because of her talking about ´Finding What Is´ that I´ve discovered this little gem. Which was a surprise find but a pretty damn good one for sure. And now seeing this beauty of a cover for ´A Different Path´ plus my already extremely positive experience with Tabitha Vohn, I know I´m going to grab it the moment it is available.

Source: http://tabithavohn.com